Best High School Musical songs to add to your grad playlist (ranking)

Ella Davis, Staff Writer

With graduation right around the corner and seniors looking back on their high school years as well as their childhood, there is no better time to rank songs from Disney’s High School Musical series.

In addition to being a pop culture juggernaut, the soundtracks from all three movies contain nothing but straight bops. But which one deserves the title of best High School Musical song of all time?

Number Six: “Bop To The Top” from High School Musical

Starting off with a strong contender for the title is this sassy Sharpay and Ryan duet. A tribute to theater kids everywhere, “Bop To The Top” climbs the glittery ladder for best costumes in a High School Musical number. One of the best numbers in the whole series, it definitely earns its spot at number six.
Number Five: “What Time Is It?” from High School Musical 2

The song that captures the thrill of the last day of school, “What Time Is It?” actually stayed at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Sales Chart in 2007 for a whopping 28 weeks. Filled with solos, character moments and epic dances, it truly is one of the best summer anthems.

Number Four: “Breaking Free” from High School Musical

Arguably the best duet from Troy and Gabriella, this sweet slow-jam is important to the plot as their performance wins them their parts in the school production of Twinkle Towne. But that’s not all “Breaking Free” has to offer, as there are romantic moments, stunning stage pieces and a great build-up that shows the talent of the cast and songwriters.

Number Three: “Bet On It” from High School Musical 2
A meme and a melodrama thanks to its dramatic visuals and dance, “Bet On It” is one of the best songs to come out of High School Musical 2 thanks to its over-the-top dance number, lyrics and boppin’ back beat. Troy dancing around a golf course while singing about everything wrong in his life looks absolutely freeing, so it’s safe to bet that all teenagers have thought about doing it at least once.

Number Two: “I Don’t Dance” from High School Musical 2
“I Don’t Dance” makes great use of its baseball pitch location by including the rival teams and crowd in the chorus and choreography. Ironic because Chad can in fact dance, the rivalry between him and Ryan is made that much better alongside a rap and chorus so catchy you’ll have it stuck in your head for weeks.

Number One: “We’re All in This Together” from High School Musical
The quintessential High School Musical song, “We’re All in This Together” has the best group dance and final number in the whole franchise. Not only does it showcase solos from all major characters but it encapsulates the unity and school spirit that plays a role in anyone’s high school experience. Plus, it’s so iconic that you probably know the choreography. All of those factors combined are what put this final showstopper at the top of the list.