Two-way immersion program expands to Hazelbrook and Fowler middle schools

Amy Kang, Staff Writer

In our increasingly diverse community, TTSD created a Two-Way Immersion (TWI) program that integrates both English and Spanish into learning; joining the elementary schools that already offer TWI, Hazelbrook and Fowler middle schools have recently been included in this project. 

TWI is an educational program that provides a multilingual and multicultural environment for students. At the middle school level, they are taught in a 50:50 blend of both languages. Of the seven classes each day, three are taught in Spanish.

“The program has grown greatly every year,” said Tim Blackburn, the Title III administrator who helps run TWI, “and hearing students tell me that they feel confident and happy because of TWI [makes] me feel great about what we’re doing.”

However, he noted that despite the success of the program, there were also some struggles as they tried to branch out to the middle schools. Finding new textbooks in Spanish wasn’t easy, and Blackburn even dubbed finding skilled Spanish-speaking teachers as “unicorn hunting.”

Maria O’Connor, a TWI teacher currently at Hazelbrook, also shared her experience.

“The best part for me is to see them not being afraid to shine once they feel comfortable [with themselves and their abilities]. I love having conversations during passing periods and having folks be astonished by the ease with which students speak in both languages!” she said. “The goal is to guide students towards becoming global citizens who use their voices in academic and social situations for themselves, their families and their communities.”

TWI plans to extend further, and Blackburn says there is a lot more to look forward to for the future of the program. The Certificate of Biliteracy, a middle school version of the Seal of Biliteracy, is in development.

“[The district is] also looking to build a community at Tualatin High that values cross-cultural connections,” Blackburn said. “We’re excited about TWI coming to Tualatin High School!”