Winter Sports Preview

Lucy Lyons, Staff Writer

Teams are eager to be back on schedule and reveal their talents this year, since last year’s sports season was so unusual due to shortened schedules and winter sports shifted to the spring. Tualatin’s winter sports, including basketball, swimming, wrestling, cheerleading and dance, have just begun with much anticipation for the upcoming season. 

Basketball

The girls’ basketball season began on Dec. 4, with a 46-29 win over Silverton. The varsity team features juniors Olivia Silliman, Anna Sherman, Quinn McMillen, Tabi Searle and Olivia Poulivaati. Sophomore players include Makalya Simonelic, Makenna Pressley, Alexis Doctor and Jaylyn Arosemena. Freshmen team members are Macy Marg and Abigail Katsuda.

The boys’ basketball season began on Dec. 8 with the first varsity game against Jefferson High School. Senior players are Malik Ross, Noah Ogoli, Peter Burke, Kellen Hale and Ashton Rose. Juniors are Ryan Schleicher, Jack Wagner and Richie Anderson. Sophomore Jaden Steppe rounds out the team. 

Steppe shared his confidence in his team, stating, “There’s no chance we’ll lose.” 

Swimming

Senior team captain Madalyn Stringer shared her anticipation for the upcoming swimming season, 

“This season almost feels the same again, with spectators and being able to be with the entire team. I’m able to have the swim season that I’ve always wanted.” 

This year, the team will feature 70 swimmers, from all four academic classes. They’ll showcase their talents at the meets they have every Thursday. 

Although nervous on the blocks, junior Aaron Lakeman is excited for the adrenaline boost that comes with this sport. Both Lakeman and Stringer shared their excitement to have indoor practices and meets again, rather than last year’s freezing outdoor swimming. 

Wrestling

After the team won district championships last year, senior Dillon Dicola is thrilled to showcase this year’s potential.  He’s looking forward to a longer season compared to the short one last year. 

With only one season under his belt, Dicola is “ready to learn and wrestle.” 

He’s excited about this year’s bigger team and a strong number of returning wrestlers. Many wrestlers are just finishing their football season, joining after competing in the state championships.  Their first meet was a dual meet against three different schools on Dec. 3.