Tegan Kelley opens up about directing Eleemosynary

Kayla Wolf, Staff Writer

Following the success of the fall musical Cinderella, the theatre department presented a small but powerful production of Eleemosynary. The show only ran for two performances on Nov. 21 and 22, yet it drew a large audience to each. Senior Tegan Kelley had the unique opportunity of working as a student director for this production. She became involved in theatre her freshman year, and has since then participated in many Tualatin theatrical performances. The Wolf sat down with Kelley to find out more about her experience.

Photo by Dani Ammel
Teagan Kelley

Question: What inspired you to start directing?
Kelley:I was inspired to direct by all the amazing directors I have had the privilege to work with over the years. I was always amazed by their ability to lead a team and execute their vision. Plus, directing excited me because it would allow me to put together stories that I felt were important and share them with the world.

Q: Why did you choose this show to direct?

K:  Ms. Hunter presented this to me, so it held a special place in her heart. Since it was a smaller cast, it was easier to put together over the summer, and it’s such a beautiful and moving story a lot of people could benefit from hearing.

Q:At the performances, the audience was set up in a non-traditional format so that the audience sat on the stage with the actors. What made you decide to set up the chairs this way?

K: We wanted it to feel like a more intimate setting for the audience. Because the cast is so small, we wanted the audience to feel as much a part of the story as our actors.

Q: What was the most challenging part of this production?

K: As far as directing goes, it was difficult to look at scenes I was directing when I was also in them acting, because I wasn’t able to watch what the scene looked and sounded like from an outsider’s perspective. As an actor it was difficult having to be onstage the entire play because I had to be fully emerged in my character even when I wasn’t acting in a scene.

Q: What was the most memorable part?
K:
The most memorable part of Eleemosynarywas all of the pre-show rituals and traditions we shared. We did pre-show vocal warm ups as well as listening to music together.

Q: What lessons did you learn as a director and how do you see them carrying over into your future life?

K: Directing taught me a lot about time management and what it takes to be a leader. I will definitely be carrying these lessons with me into my future.

Q: After leaving Tualatin, do you have any plans for pursuing a career involving theatre?

K: Next year, I plan to go to Southern Oregon University and major in theatre, and I hope to go to grad school for directing after getting my undergrad degree.

Q: Lastly, what do you hope the audience took away from Eleemosynary?

K:  This play has a lot of different themes throughout it, but some of the ones I feel are most important are the importance of forgiveness and how we learn to accept our mistakes not as failures, but as opportunities for growth.