Staying focused in online classes requires strategies, tips

Lily Bennett, Staff Writer

Doing school from home has created new dilemmas for us all: trying to replicate a school atmosphere, staying motivated and keeping our focus off our phones and out of the kitchen. Your fellow Wolves might have some pro study tips to enhance your online school experience while also lowering your stress.

Senior Tori Kneeshaw shared how strategic music choice can help. 

“I’ve found that listening to guitar and instrumental music helps me when studying,” Kneeshaw said.

Depending on the person and the genre, listening to music while studying can increase your mood leading to more motivation.  Selecting music that you already know allows you to focus on your work rather than new lyrics. Find a familiar playlist, or perhaps experiment with classical or faster tempos. Overall, remember that music is meant to be the backdrop and not the priority. 

“Sometimes I get distracted by my phone when I do schoolwork, so I always have a time limit set on my social media apps,” junior Aslyn Carlesimo said.

Along with setting screen time limits, try changing your home screen layout by prioritizing apps on your home screen that you need for school —- instead of social media and Netflix. Hide apps that create distraction or delete them while you work. Need more force? Try web and app blockers like Freedom or Mindful Browsing to help yourself stay aware.

Sophomore Nicole Williams emphasized the importance of scheduling and taking breaks. 

“During my breaks, I make sure to get up and move around,” Williams said.

The scheduled 15-minute breaks are tempting to work through, but if you’re feeling antsy, go outside for a bit, pet your dog, or listen to a song or two and dance your 15-minute break away. 

“Don’t spend hours on end working. Space it out and don’t overwork yourself too much,” Williams suggested.

It may not feel like it, but school work and homework are separate even while working at home. To limit the monotomy, break it up by scheduling some downtime to recuperate before you start on your homework.