Timberwolves back and better than ever after taking opportunity to improve mental, physical health

Amanda Fronczak, Staff Writer

Think back to where you were last fall—maybe at a football game or Homecoming or even just going places without a mask. A year ago today, you may have never even worn a mask! It’s crazy to think how much has changed in such a short period of time. Adjusting to these changes can be rough, but with negative situations come positive outcomes, as well. A positive of being online this semester can be the opportunity to improve your mental and physical health. 

Let’s start with mental health. 

One of the biggest perks of being online is school starting at 10 a.m. compared to 8:05 a.m. Waking up, getting ready and going to school all before 8 a.m. caused a lot more stress than waking up, rolling out of bed and logging onto your Chromebook. Those extra couple hours in the morning can be a huge benefit no matter how you use them.

Getting more sleep every night can not only improve your mood but increase your ability to concentrate and comprehend information and even help lower your risk of depression. 

Having time to do your homework in the morning or study for a test allows you to focus more on the information instead of cramming it all into your head at midnight. Only having four classes at a time allows you to focus on each subject and even build better relationships with your teachers, since you see them every day instead of every other day. 

Being at home can also eliminate extra stress factors you may not even think about. You don’t have to worry about being late, remembering everything you need to bring to school and even picking out that perfect outfit. These things may seem like no big deal, but they can cause a lot of extra stress that you no longer have to worry about. Being at home allows you to spend more time with your family and make memories you would have never had the chance to make before. 

Online school can also improve your physical health. With extra time in the mornings and evenings you can finally reach those fitness goals you’ve always talked about. Whether it’s improving your mile time or doing that workout challenge you’ve always talked about starting, you have time to take these challenges on.

Taking 30 minutes out of your day to do some form of exercise can be very beneficial. There are thousands of different fun and easy workouts online that you can do to get your heart rate up. Even doing some stretching in between classes can have great benefits.

Being at home can also allow you to enforce healthier eating habits. You may be able to cook or prepare your lunches during your lunch break which can allow you to make fresh and healthy meals. 

Finally, sleeping more can also have physical health benefits such as increased physical performance, strengthening your immune system and decreasing your risk for Type 2 diabetes. 

2020 is truly a year we will never forget because of all the negative things that have happened, but remember there are always positives that can come from hardships. Let’s finish 2020 with our best foot forward—you got this, Timberwolves!