Tualatin’s early birds out of luck

Cyrah Carlson, Asst. Fold Editor

This 2021-22 school year, the early bird does not catch the worm. From the previous 8:05 a.m.-3:05 p.m. bell schedule, Tualatin and Tigard high schools are now given nearly an hour more in the morning. Students and staff have mixed feelings on the altered schedule. With so much change, the first bell is leaving students scrambled even more than their breakfast!

In an interview with junior Lianna Smith, The Wolf heard about the student perspective. 

If you had control of the time we started and ended school, what time would be ideal?

“I truly believe that a later start time is better for our mental health, but this should also be accompanied by a reasonable time we get out. I think the end time should be 2:55 p.m. or 3 p.m.. With this, students will have time before sports or activities to do some homework, maybe eat an early dinner with family and simply have time for well-needed self-care.”

Do you have anything else to say about the new bell schedule?

“Not only is it necessary for our school to have a sooner release for our health, but it’s just common sense for students to have time for homework, sports and, of course, family.”

There are various pros and cons to consider regarding the later start times. One pro we notice is that later start times give students more time to sleep in in the morning. Although more time in the morning is beneficial, school ending late in the afternoon causes disturbance in extracurriculars. Another pro to starting later in the morning is that students come to school awake and mentally prepared to learn. One con to starting late is that students and staff are left to deal with rush-hour traffic after school.

The Wolf also checked in with Tualatin Work Ready Program Coordinator Christopher Lieuallen and his views on later start times. 

How do you feel about the later bell schedule?

“The extra time in the morning allows me to get a full night’s sleep. I recognize there are some challenges the new schedule brings for everyone in the community, but there were challenges with the old schedule, too.”

“Despite the challenges that arise with the change, I hope people will give it a chance. Let’s roll with it for a while before we come down with an immovable opinion.”

Students and staff will determine the benefits and drawbacks of these changes for themselves. As individuals appreciate the consequences of later start times, questions begin to arise of its lasting effects.