Newberg School District target of student anger after banning progressive flags

Cristian Hernandez, Staff Writer

Photo of Lluvia Perez by Breanna Highley.
Photo of Rachel Arant by Jessica Velasquez.

Newberg’s school board recently voted to ban any political symbols, including those associated with BLM and the LGBTQ community.

On May 25th, 2020, George Floyd was murdered by a Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin. This received international attention and had millions of frustrated and justice-hungry individuals protesting around the world. Following the protests and social media advocacy, the Black Lives Matter movement grew immensely. 

Students from Newberg and surrounding schools reacted passionately to the board’s ban, protesting the school board’s actions on social media and in rallies. One of the more notable protests was at Tigard High School during a football game vs Newberg. Students held up flags and posters protesting the discrimination that Newburg students are facing.

Two seniors, Lluvia Perez from Newberg High School and Rachel Arant from Tualatin High School, shared their thoughts on this school board decision.

What was your initial reaction when you heard the news of the ban?

Perez: My first initial reaction was that I wasn’t surprised, but I was disappointed. I lived in this town my whole life, and I’ve come to the point where I feel embarrassed to say that I am from Newberg. I believe that Newberg is capable of doing better, but aren’t choosing to. Newberg needs to do better. 

Arant: My initial reaction was thinking that it’s really unfair to the LGBTQ+ students and people of color at Newberg. Faculty and the board should be supportive instead of tearing down their students. If they’re going to ban BLM flags and Pride flags, then they should also ban the Confederate flag, Blue Lives Matter flags or other things that are considered “controversial.” 

What do you think about how the communities and high schools around Newberg High School reacted? (Tigard High, Tualatin High, Etc.)

Perez: I believe that they got secondhand embarrassment. I know I did. Other students, including myself, found it pretty odd how the decision was made by people that don’t even attend the school, but it opened our eyes to what the type of people in Newberg are like. 

Arant: I love seeing other schools come together to support Newberg when they play against them. I think it’s awesome that Sherwood High School did rainbow out to let LGBTQ+ students of Newberg know they’re not alone and they have support around them. 

Have you seen any actions around your community that have been positive or negative reactions to this news?

Perez: I have seen positive and negative actions in the community; there have been frequent, respectful protests from the LGBTQ+ community and others supporting this peaceful protest.

Arant: I think the people that I’m close to and I have reacted the same to this: we love seeing schools build each other up and join in on the support, and I’ve heard only positive things about supporting Newberg.