New Staff Spotlight: Hendricks joins TuHS’s science department

Olivia Trone, Bilingual Editor

Tualatin High School (TuHS) has welcomed many new teachers this year, each as interesting and special as the last. 

In an interview with The Wolf, new science teacher William Hendricks explained his life before TuHS and how he’s been liking the school so far. 

Hendricks is from Las Cruces, New Mexico. He went to New Mexico State University, where he studied biology and Spanish. He received his Masters Degree in education from the University of Oregon. 

Last year, he taught at Springfield High School in Springfield, Ore. He had a desire to move to Portland, and the perfect opportunity presented itself when his spouse got a job at a firm in Portland.  

“Something that drew me to Tualatin High School was the focus on an equitable and meaningful education, and the potential opportunity to teach science in Spanish in the future,” Hendricks said. 

“Last year was difficult because so much of it was remote, so I didn’t have as much of an opportunity to learn about Springfield High School. I am enjoying my time this year, but I would share a sentiment I imagine most students agree with: this year has been stressful, and we’re all trying our best,” Hendricks said.

He is very positive about TuHS and his experience so far. 

“Tualatin has an exceptional staff of people who not only genuinely care about students, but genuinely care about each other. It is a much nicer building than the high school I attended. Compared to my time as a student, I think students in this building are much kinder and more understanding of each other,” he said.

A random, fun fact about Hendricks is that his favorite childhood TV show was Wishbone

“As a kid, I would read any book I could get my hands on, and my aunt and uncle used to train a Jack Russell Terrier named Haywood to do agility courses, so that was always my favorite kind of dog.” 

Tualatin High School’s science department has gained a superb new teacher, who is guaranteed to create a positive atmosphere in his classroom.