Counselors provide tips for smoother forecasting process

Cyrah Carlson, Co-Fold Editor

Planning ahead is hard, especially as a teenager in high school.

What credits do I need to complete? What art class is the best if I like working with technology? These are possible questions you may be asking when in the midst of the forecasting process. Luckily, this year, the TuHS counselors have come together with tips and tricks to make your forecasting process a little easier. 

Each student has a forecasting process that is unique to them, and our counselors want students to know that. After sitting down with a couple of our counselors, some of your most frequently asked questions have been answered! 

Counselor Kat Toms has some advice for students preparing for forecasting.

What are ways that students can make forecasting simpler for themselves?

Review their transcript that they will receive with their forecast sheet. Your transcript will outline the credits you have completed, your ‘work in progress’ and the credits that still need to be completed for graduation requirements.”

What is one piece of advice you have for students regarding forecasting this year?

“I always tell my students to explore all the exciting electives offered here at TuHS: visual & performing arts, technology & construction, science, culinary, child development, etc., and to come and see your counselor—we’re always happy to see you!”

Toms provided very helpful information. Next, counselor Lauren Biles gives her advice for students.

What are some resources for academic planning that students have access to at TuHS?

“Counselors love to connect with students and support them in choosing classes based on their future goals, passions and interests. We are always willing to help a student make forecasting choices. Our plan is to visit Social Studies classes at the end of April and meet one-on-one with every student, verify their forecasting selections, answer any questions about academic plans and make any changes to requests that come up between the time of forecasting (March 1-19) and the end of April. 

[Use] the Academic Planning Guide. This is updated every year and includes tons of information to support students with academic planning.”

What is a common mistake students should avoid this year when forecasting?

“Students select courses that they don’t have the prerequisite for and then get frustrated when they don’t get that class. Know the prerequisites. 

[Another common mistake is] asking counselors about ‘what classes are’ before reading the [Academic Planning Guide] (APG). We love to discuss students’ future goals and will recommend courses that align with goals, but we don’t want to describe every single class when the information is already available to you.”

Forecasting is meant to be a painless and even exciting time for planning ahead. Happy second semester, and happy forecasting!