Blood crisis calls all donors

Photo of Lily Bennett

Lily Bennett, Co-Entertainment Editor

While I’m aware that TuHS students, to put it simply, have a lot going on, I’m calling out to those who are willing to spare some time to do a good deed. 

Blood donations are at an all time low, as COVID-19 has deterred many donors; not surprising, as you can’t blame people for turning their focus inwards to prioritize their own health. However, if it isn’t too far of a stretch, and you’re physically and mentally able to do so, I encourage those who are feeling particularly grateful for their health to pay it forward by donating blood. 

The demand for blood is real and an ongoing necessity for many Americans. Organizations like the American Red Cross and America’s Blood Centers supply hospitals around the US with blood that is used to help trauma patients, individuals with blood diseases and cancers, women delivering their babies through C-sections and elective surgeries.

Jennifer Langston, a gun violence survivor who volunteers for Moms Demand Action, is one of many Americans who has experienced life-altering events leading to the need for a blood transfusion. 

“The fact that we have a blood shortage right now not only impacts gun violence survivors but also impacts those getting transfusions for childbirth, like I had when delivering my daughter. This is something people don’t think about when talking about blood transfusions,” Langston said.  

Lucky for us Oregonians, you can be as young as 16 to donate to the American Red Cross or America’s Blood Centers with a parental consent form.

Here are some tips if you’re considering being a donor.

Go to the donation company’s website for eligibility requirements. The American Red Cross even has an app that allows you to schedule appointments and complete the check-in survey ahead of time. 

Select a location you’re familiar with and that is convenient. Be warned that not all drives are created equal! Drives held in buildings are, by far, superior to bus drives.

Let’s talk about iron! It’s essential that donors have high enough iron levels in their blood to donate. Make it a priority to include more iron-rich foods in your diet to prepare your body. Ladies, I’m talking specifically to you. Women tend to struggle with maintaining their iron levels compared to men. Take control of your hemoglobin levels, gals!

A sweatshirt and headphones are a must. While your ID and any other required forms are very important to bring to your appointment, having a sweatshirt to lay over you while you donate and headphones for entertainment are a nice touch. Although sometimes the phlebotomists have great music taste.

It’s important to add that while you are asked to disclose your COVID-19 vaccination status during the check-in process, it doesn’t affect your ability to donate.