Tualatin students share excitement for upcoming Taylor Swift album

Graphic by Isabella Kneeshaw.

Gracie Lancaster, Staff Writer

While attending the MTV VMAs on Aug. 28, Taylor Swift announced her new album Midnights would be released at midnight on Oct. 21. The Wolf interviewed Tualatin High School (TuHS) seniors Madeline Houeland and Finley Arnott to gain perspective on the excitement at TuHS.

Q: What kind of album do you think Midnights will be?

Houeland: “I’ve seen people say that she might do rock, but I’m not sure that she’ll go full rock. Probably alternative rock, like a mix of all the things she’s done before.”

Arnott: “I think it’s going to be a kind of sleazy, slow rock album, like “Crimson and Clover” by Joan Jett vibes.”

Q: What type of content are you expecting from Midnights?

H: “I’ve heard theories that it’ll be a lot of unreleased music that she’s stayed up late making, so I think the majority of it is going to be songs about herself that she wrote late at night.”

A: “I’m expecting songs about herself and things she went through during different times in her life, so there’s going to be varying depths and themes and stuff.”

Q: How do you feel about the concept?

H: “I thought she was going to come out with another rerecording but when I found out she was releasing a whole new album, I started jumping up and down in my room.”

A: “I think it’s very original and has potential to be really cool.”

Q: Do you feel like the album will meet your expectations? Is there anything that would disappoint you?

H: “No. Literally nothing she puts out will ever disappoint me.”

A: “My expectations are pretty high after Folklore and Evermore, so I feel like most things will disappoint me. I think it might be a flop, but I hope not.”