Marie Shockloss keeps TuHS running well behind scenes

March 22, 2019

The secretaries at Tualatin High School are a lot like cameramen for a movie. Without them, the whole production is impossible, and having good ones makes a big difference. However, even though their role is so critical, all their hard work oftentimes goes unnoticed. That’s why The Wolf  sat down with Marie Shockloss, resident secretary at Tualatin High School. Students and parents may know her from the colorful daily bulletin emails, but Shockloss does far more than that.

Shockloss’s position includes managing Tualatin High’s social media, handling both the student and staff calendars, helping with student involvement and organizing staff activities and birthday festivities. She is also the secretary to principal Michael Dellerba, where she assists in planning out his appointments and schedule.

So what is her favorite part of her job?

“To work with people, students, teachers, and parents. I often get calls from parents who want to be set up with ParentVue or are in distress, and it’s nice to be able to help them out,” she said.

Shockloss could not choose just one season that is her favorite because there are too many events she loves. But a highlight for her is Welcome to the Pack Night because, “All the eighth grade students are coming to the high school, and since I was a secretary at Deer Creek Elementary, I get to see all those kids headed our way.”

Another front-runner included graduation, because “That’s when we see how our senior students are growing wings and starting to fly.”

Outside her role as secretary, her favorite things to do are be in the outdoors, visit with friends, read and spend time with family. Both her children are Tualatin graduates.

Traveling is big for Shockloss as she is from Europe, and is fluent in both German and Spanish.

“I  usually go to see my Europe family in the summer and sometimes during the year, and the rest of my family is from the East Coast, so I’m traveling there, too.

One attribute that stands out about Shockloss is her caring attitude towards the student body.

“I want you students to come here and feel you have a place and to feel welcome,” she says.

Shockloss is a vital member of the Tualatin Wolf Pack, and her hard work and wholeheartedness are noticed by parents, staff and students alike.

The Wolf • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in