Anticipation is high for Tualatin basketball’s return

Senior Josiah Lake II photographed by Kirk Steppe.

Jaden Steppe, Staff Writer

After our school’s first basketball state championship ever last year, Tualatin High School is ready for the new season as the reigning champions. 

Although we are starting the new season with a change – a new head coach Brandon “Bubba” Lemon – the team is ready to step up and win another state title.  Coach Lemon has been the JV coach for the last 10 years and has been extremely successful. In an interview with The Wolf, our star point guard, senior Josiah Lake ll, spoke about his teammates and this season.

What’s different about this season compared to last year?

We lost some very important seniors, so we are going to be doubted this upcoming season. Our play style this season is going to highlight some of our team’s high-flying and athletic players that this school has never really seen before. The games will be worth the admission.”

What are you most excited about this season?

I just can’t wait to get back on the court with my teammates. I’m ready to prove everyone wrong and go back to back. Even though we lost seniors, my confidence in this team is undeniable. We have players that play hard and know how and what it takes to win. WIth our new coach, I think he will let us display our talents and our unselfishness throughout the game.”

What is your relationship with your teammates and is it a catalyst for winning a championship?

We have a great on and off the court relationship with our team. Having a good relationship builds chemistry, which is very key to win a championship. A big reason for last year’s success was always being on the same page when dealing with some adversity in uncontrollable situations.” 

How will you and your returning teammates’ roles change this year?

My other teammates are going to have to take on a bigger role, and I know they can handle it. We only have a couple returning players from last year’s team. I think [junior] Jaden Steppe will be a key piece to Tualatin’s success this year. We also have some good players stepping up to varsity for the first time and will have to learn as we go.”