What’s in a horoscope?

Art by Peyton Anderson.

Alyssa Diaz, Staff Writer

Horoscopes are forecasts of someone’s future based on an astrological chart or diagram, depending on the location of where the stars and planets were when the person was born. 

The different astrological signs are broken into 12 different groups depending on one’s birthdate. These signs are Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius and Pisces. Each individual sign is known for different personality quirks. For example, Cancers, people who were born June 22 to July 22, are known to be nurturing and loyal. 

A person’s personal zodiac chart includes a sun, moon, rising, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto. Each different part of the chart means different things about one’s personality. The main parts of the chart that represent who a person is are their sun, moon and rising sign. 

The sun sign in an astrological chart represents a person’s core personality, their sense of self and their overall basic preferences. It can show one’s romantic capability and what specific signs they would be most likely to be compatible with. It is also where one’s ego, identity and overall “role” in life become clear. Additionally, the sun sign is one’s overall zodiac sign. 

The moon sign in the chart rules a person’s emotions, moods and feelings. This sign reflects how a person acts when they’re alone or how they act around people they are comfortable with. The moon shows what type of need and nourishment a person requires in their life. 

The rising sign in one’s chart is the “mask” we present to people. It can be shown as a person’s personal style and little things that they do that are personal to them rather than what others do. It also is how a person comes off to people when they first encounter them. 

“I believe that zodiac signs can represent a person’s individual perspective on life,” TuHS student Innez Marsh said. “I think that though not everybody believes in zodiac signs or spirituality in general, I personally believe that each person represents their own sign.”