Seniors pick top five songs for graduation

Graphic by Marcus Ludes.

Simon Phipps, Co-News Editor

With the end of the Senior Class of 2023 comes the end of an era of music at Tualatin High School. In light of seniors scraping for every last bit of recognition before leaving, we decided to let them get the word in the final playlist of the Class of 2023. Songs are in no particular order.

First up, we have “Just Wanna Rock” by Lil Uzi Vert. The song was released recently – just in 2022 – but its groovy sensations put a spell on every senior. Students were doing the Rock-Ya-Hips on every turn at the school. Senior Josiah Parrish recommended this song for one reason: “Because we mosh.”

Next up is “The Lazy Song” by Bruno Mars. Despite every classic that this musical phenom has pushed out, this was the song chosen, and for a good reason. “Senioritis is real,” said an anonymous senior. 

Third is “Bad to the Bone” by George Thorogood & The Destroyers. This song came from a movie everybody in their right minds knows and loves featuring the blue-headed Metro City menace: Megamind. It was recommended simply for that fact. Senior Anna Giltner says it’s because “Megamind was iconic.” 

Number four is “Pursuit of Happiness” by Kid Cudi. This song was chosen because senior year “went by quick and [was] a fun time,” said an anonymous senior. While this year did feel quick, I think it’s safe to say it wasn’t all fun times. Regardless, the song always hits the spot with windows down on the highway with friends in the summer.

Number five is “Dog Days are Over” by Florence + The Machine. On the more mellow side of the spectrum, the song still shows an upbeat lookout to the future, given the close to a part of one’s life. An anonymous senior recommended this song because “Childhood has officially come to a close.”

After giving these songs a listen, take time to have a deep breath and a good moment to yourself. After all the packing and moving and cars being weighed down to bottoming out and scraping the driveway when you leave, you can remember that music is weightless, and it can go with you wherever you want to give you a sense of home. Good luck to all those graduating in the Class of 2023!