Andrew Gerlach
Staff Writer

War in Ukraine devastates local students

While war rages between Russia and Ukraine, some TuHS community members are feeling the impact here. Families in Ukraine are being displaced and forced to flee. With increased fear of nuclear possession and the fate of those who call the area home, it may not be possible to return once the war is dormant. 

For Junior Daniel Patrakov, whose family is from Ukraine, and freshman Aleksandr Kralik, whose family is from Russia, the war hits very close to home.

“The war has displaced my family from their hometown, Donetsk, Ukraine,” Patrakov said. “At first, they all moved to Poland. Then we were able to move them to Oregon.” 

Kralik’s family has also experienced trauma but in a different way.

“My mom’s family is from outside of Moscow,” Kralik said. “If we visit, my brother and I may be unable to return. It is possible that we get drafted to the war.”

An ongoing issue is rising nuclear tensions. In the last five years, national media outlets have cited US satellite reports that something unusual has been going on near numerous Russian military bases. According to many national news sites, multiple bases in the Arctic have prepared for or conducted nuclear testing. There is increasing fear around the world as the conflict in Ukraine escalates. 

“Putin is gaslighting an entire country into thinking that they’re not invading,” Patrakov stated. 

Kralik has heard more and more jokes about Russia being the aggressor in the conflict. 

“Usually it’s just, ‘Ooh, haha, you’re a Russian spy’ type of joke,” Kralik said.

To many, it appears that Putin has started something he has yet to finish what he has initiated with Ukraine. However, with Ukraine’s counterattacks, donated supplies, and money and the possibility of NATO assistance continuing to grow, Putin doesn’t seem nearly as strong. Some fear that nuclear threats are a scary possibility if Russia at some point becomes desperate enough to use nuclear power. 

That is not Patrakov’s main worry, however.

“If someone can blow up the entire world at any second, it would’ve already happened,” he said. 

As the war continues, those in Russia and Ukraine, along with their families here in our area, continue to suffer and hope for some resolution.