Sienna Smiley
Staff Writer

ASB starts year with fresh perspectives thanks to new advisers, representatives

Photo by Tullia Salboro

Tualatin’s Associated Student Body (ASB) has seen many changes this year, as students welcomed two new advisers. Science teacher Jessica Fontaine and social studies teacher Andrew Bonica have brought a fresh perspective to the class. 

The Wolf spoke with senior ASB representatives Amity Humphrey and Tallie Fusitua to get insight into this new approach. 

“I’m really excited for this upcoming year,” Fusitua said. “There are many new changes involving so many fresh new perspectives, new advisers, new members and the newly-added affinity group representatives. We truly have such a range of diverse voices this upcoming year. Hopefully, this enables ASB to be its most inclusive yet.“

The ASB Class is known for its commitment to developing student leaders and fostering a culture of teamwork, communication and community service. Students in this class participate in various activities and projects designed to enhance their leadership skills and contribute positively to their school and community. 

The advisers have the role of overseeing the ASB students, helping to communicate with the administration and finding ways for ideas to come to life. They also give guidelines as to what the team can and cannot accomplish.

Fusitua said, “They’ve implemented a lot of new ideas, such as replacing a former directorship. Bonica and Fontaine have offered so many new ideas and truly have the student body at the forefront of their plans and aspirations.” 

One of the major changes this year is a new directorship called Shared Spaces, which was created to make our space more reflective of the diverse students that are within our school. There will be a variety of student collaborative ideas and events to be announced by ASB soon that allow for students to be showcased and student work, ideas and achievements to be recognized.

To further inclusivity at TuHS, ASB has welcomed seven new diversity representatives this year. These include representatives from Pacific Island Affinity Group, MEChA, Black Student Union, Muslim and Islamic Society, Gender Sexuality Alliance, Asian Conversations and the Jewish Group. 

“With the addition of the affinity group representatives, we have been able to get better perspectives from a variety of student populations that we normally wouldn’t get. It has been super helpful having extra helping hands,” Humphrey said. 

With these many new changes, the ASB class is learning to ebb and flow with each other. Adaptation and flexibility are essential to their success. With different teachers and new representatives, the ASB class is not just adjusting but evolving, striving to become a more inclusive and united force.