Lea Olivares Raudes
Staff Writer & Graphics Team

Winter activities are great way to celebrate season, keep stress at bay

The crisp air blows in, and the day grows darker. Winter time is a week away! As we continue into the second half of the semester, homework is stacking up, juniors and seniors are preparing for college and summer feels a long way away. Here are some great ways to keep stress down during the winter season. Just remember, Winter Break is coming soon!

The chilliest months are the perfect time to retreat indoors, light a candle and bring out some games and activities. Puzzles are a great activity to stay entertained while stuck inside. You can do them by yourself or with friends and even with a movie in the background. 

Art is always a wonderful way to relax and have fun. You can use pencils, markers or paint. If something thrilling and exciting is more your thing, host a game night with your friends or watch a new movie. Whatever you choose to do, there are plenty of ways to make the best of the winter months. 

If you can brave the cold, layer up and look outside. 

“During the winter, l love to go on night walks outside when it is snowing and look at all of the Christmas lights,” TuHS senior Alexa Mekkers said. 

Take a stroll around your own neighborhood and take a look at all the festive lights. However your family decorates their home for the holidays, a warm and charming house can make the winter months more enjoyable. 

Another way to make your house comfy and inviting is with scented candles or simmer pots or by baking delicious treats. Seasonal scents are stocked the shelves, so now is the time to bring home your favorite fragrance for the New Year. If you’re feeling crafty, bring out some spices and herbs and make a simmer pot that will surely freshen up your space. 

Baking is another fun activity to do by yourself or with your friends that will leave your kitchen smelling amazing. 

“During Christmas time, my mom always makes this huge breakfast casserole,” Mekkers said. “I also love to bake cookies.” 

There are so many seasonal flavors to use like gingerbread and peppermint. Whether it’s cookies or pie, baking a flavorful goodie will make your kitchen smell amazing and keep you warm.