Liam Frith
Liam Frith
Entertainment Editor

Day in the life of a theatre star

Photo courtesy of TuHS Theatre

The day of the highly-anticipated play has arrived, and it’s nothing short of electrifying for Henry Findtner, senior theatre sensation. He is excited to take the stage and amaze the audience with his talent. Come along as we explore an exciting day in the life of a starring actor on the play’s opening night.

The curtains of Findtner’s day are drawn back early, and the air is filled with palpable anticipation. The sound of the alarm clock at 6:30 a.m. transforms into the prelude to the exciting show that Findtner will perform in later. His breakfast is a modest meal of oatmeal and apples, but as he remembers his lines and imagines the journey his character will take, a tornado of emotions surges inside of him.

As the clock hits 8 a.m., Findtner’s focus is unyielding. At school, classmates can sense the focus and excitement of the play in the air, an unsaid promise of a memorable evening. Every lesson and interaction is a prequel to the character he must turn into, and Findtner’s usual quiet demeanor barely contains the actor within.

At 12 p.m., Findtner sits alone for lunch on play days. The energy of the day courses through him. He likes to have a few moments of “calm before the storm.” He says his lines silently, his composure a façade for what he really feels.

The clock races toward 3 p.m., the time of the great transformation. Findtner shows up at the theater for a full costume check and last-minute practice. The environment backstage is a tornado of energy, controlled anarchy and friendship. Findtner’s fellow cast members see the approaching dramatic storm and offer words of encouragement. 

Tension is in the air as the audience gathers at 7 p.m. Findtner’s hands shake and his heart races, but he knows that the stage is where he belongs. Everything is set up, including the makeup, costumes and props, and Findtner is ready to embrace his role. With great applause, the curtains rise, and at that moment, Findtner undergoes a miraculous transformation. His reserved student persona takes a backseat as the captivating actor emerges. With each line delivered, each movement choreographed, and each emotion expressed, he enchants the audience. The stage becomes his throne, and the audience his loyal subjects.

The play develops into a symphony of skill and emotion. Roaring cheers and a standing ovation ensue as the last scene fades to black.

The night concludes with a celebration among friends and admirers, marking a day that began with great anticipation and culminated in a theatrical masterpiece. Findtner, quiet senior by day and the magnetic theatre star by night, has left an indelible mark on the school. The memory of his electrifying performance will be cherished for years to come.