Alyssa Diaz
Alyssa Diaz
Co-Feature Editor

Tualatin High’s basketball season commences

Art by Sam Dunn

It’s that time of the year for Tualatin High School’s basketball teams; from the dribbling basketball to the last second buzzer-beater shots, each game will undoubtedly be an exhilarating battle. With the arrival of the 2023-24 season, both the girls’ and boys’ teams have set their sights on winning their battles and possibly the state championships. 

For the past two years, the varsity boys’ team has been the reigning Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA) 6A State Champions, finishing off their ‘21-‘22 season with an overall record of 26-2 and their ‘22-‘23 season with 27-7. 

The varsity girls’ team ranked 1st in the 6A Three Rivers League (TRL) with an undefeated record of 11-0 last season. Their overall record was 24-4, and they ranked 3rd in the OSAA 6A State Championship.

On Mar. 8 last spring, the varsity girls’ team battled against Sam Barlow High School’s girls’ basketball team in the 6A State Championship’s quarterfinals, in an attempt to advance to the semifinals. The game ended with a close score of Barlow 37, Tualatin 32. Despite this loss, nothing will stop the girls’ team from being on their ball game, and with the new season, it will be a period of perseverance and resilience. 

The varsity girls’ head coach Wes Pappas shared his thoughts in an interview with The Wolf on this year’s season. 

We are excited about this season, Pappas said. “Even though we lost five of our top eight to graduation from last year’s team that went 24-4, won the TRL, and earned a trip to the Chiles Center, we feel we can be as good or better. We have a strong list of varsity returners and have added some great new additions to varsity.” 

The players returning from last season include senior guard Makayla Simonelic, sophomore guards Maaya Lucas, Isabella Hernandez and Ries Miadich, sophomore point guards (PG) Kylie Weaver and Alex Padilla and senior wing Jaylyn Arosemena.

In addition to the returning players, new players include junior PG Jordyn Smith, freshman guards Eloise Davis and Maela Tsaknaridis, freshman PG Evelyn Freepons, sophomore wing Lexi Poulivaati and freshman wing Jaelyn Hinrichs. 

The previously mentioned players plus sophomores Lexi Poulivaati, Bella Hernandez and Kylie Weaver all bring a tough style of play to this team,” Pappas added. 

On the varsity boys’ team, senior guards CJ Goodwin, AJ Noland, Zach Zuckerman and Jaden Steppe, senior PGs Jayden Fortier and Cole Javernick and sophomore point guard Jemai Lake are returning, with new players senior PG Tyson Hunt, junior PGs Landon Patzke, Javier Diaz and Nolan Keeney, sophomore PG Trent Dearborn and freshman guard Carter Lemon in the mix. 

Lake shared what he is looking forward to in this season. 

“Probably just playing, getting reps [and] playing with the team,” Lake stated. 

The varsity boys’ head coach Brandon “Bubba” Lemon expects his players to be able to bond and become closer friends throughout the season, and Lake seems to be on board. 

“My goal is just helping the kids reach their goals,” Lemon said. “That’s my biggest goal in the season, and I know we have a couple players who have the potential to go play college basketball, so I’m going to try to help them reach their goals.” 

So far, the players who are committed to playing basketball are Steppe for the Colorado State Men’s Basketball team and Arosemena for Western Washington University. 

“You have to show up and play,” junior varsity boys’ head coach Wade Moyer stated. 

Coaches Lemon, Pappas and Moyer expressed their gratitude for coaching amazing groups of players. This season will be one for the books.