Kayla Vo
Kayla Vo
Co-Copy Editor

Southern states now facing crisis amid migrant surge

Art by Lea Olivares Raudes

Major cities across the southern US are faced with a record number of migrants at the US Mexican border. With the arrival of more migrants at the border, Texas Gov. Gregg  began sending buses full of migrants from the. border to several northern states, primarily affecting major cities like New York City and Chicago. Despite these cities wanting to be supportive of this surge in migrants, due to insufficient resources it is now being called a crisis. 

As of 2022, the number of migrants illegally crossing the border each year reached 2.2 million, and while that number has decreased since, it continues to make an impact on major cities today. With the rise in people arriving at the border, seeking asylum, the Biden administration decided it would grant an estimated 472,000 Venezuelans temporary protected status. For many, this provides a sense of hope, yet several  issues remain unresolved. 

As they arrive, cities must begin to find ways to accommodate them, as this surge in migrants is causing a strain in federal and local resources. Cities in which the migrants are settling even some far away from the border are feeling the impact. Among the biggest issues are overcrowding, homelessness, and health risks. Many clinics now see an increased number of migrant patients who face longer wait times. Shelters are reaching full capacity, leaving many to sleep on the streets. Despite the conditions many migrants now face, they continue to arrive. 

An anonymous Tualatin High School (TuHS) student shared their thoughts on the situation. 

“I think that people risk themselves because they hope to have better life quality than in their countries and have more possibilities.”  

As these cities continue to tackle these problems and attempt to contain the number of asylum seekers they receive, the arrival of more buses with migrants is adding to the existing crisis. 

TuHS Spanish teacher Pedro Márquez shared his opinion on the subject. 

“For me, this country has always been a place where migrants have come, in search of their American dream. The idea that they are sending the buses to other places full of other migrants, I think they must plan and speak with those other states to where they are being sent.”