Olivia Trone
Olivia Trone
Co-Editor-in-Chief

Ducks recruiting class paves the way for successful season

Photo courtesy of Matthew Trone

The Oregon Ducks football program had a very successful season this year, losing only two games to the University of Washington Huskies in the regular season and the Huskies in the Pac-12 Championship. Despite the losses, they had a better season than they have had in years under Coach Dan Lanning. Quarterback Bo Nix played with precision and confidence to bring the Ducks to victory. 

The Ducks are known for their impressive recruiting class nearly every season. This upcoming season, their projected overall rank with the recruiting class is #5 in the nation. Of the recruits, the most notable players are Quarterback Akili Smith Jr. (San Diego, CA), Running Back Jordon Davison (Santa Ana, CA), Wide Receiver Dallas Wilson (Tampa, FL), Tight End Linkon Cure (Goodland, KS) and Offensive tackle Michael Fasusi (Lewisville, TX). 

In an interview with The Wolf, Tualatin High School senior Oliver Wolfe shared why he thinks Oregon is always successful with recruitments.

“I feel that Oregon covers all of the bases for football players looking to create a name for themselves,” Wolfe said. “Oregon has a successful history, a reputation for sending players to the NFL and a program that is consistently ranked as one of the best in the country.”

Wolfe explained the advantages Oregon gets from having such a successful recruiting team.

“The Ducks have just had one of the most successful recruitment phases in all of college football,” he said. “Their recruitment class has been ranked 5th in the country, recruiting key linemen, defensive backs and wide receivers that are key additions to Oregon’s already dominant roster.”

This football season, former Alabama head coach Nick Saban retired. The college football world suspected that Lanning would take the position of Alabama head coach. Lanning was the Defensive Graduate Assistant; Outside Linebacker in 2015 for Alabama, and the head coach position was rumored to be his. 

In response to the rumors, Coach Lanning said, “If you’re scared your coach is leaving, then come play for us. The Ducks aren’t going anywhere, and I’m not leaving. I want to be here in Eugene for as long as Eugene will have me.”

The Oregon Ducks are blessed to have a coach who stays with them through wins and losses. The college football world and fans alike are excited to see what the Oregon Ducks accomplish next season.