Makayla Simonelic
Staff Writer

Portland Community College classified employees prepare to strike

Art by Frida Ruiz

Portland Community College students may soon feel the effects of a looming staff strike. The Portland Community College Federation of Classified Employees (PCCFCE) has been preparing to strike for several months. Workers are currently struggling with the pressure of increasing workloads and insufficient pay. 

My family is worse off financially because my salary doesn’t keep pace with rising costs,” an anonymous worker announced on the classified staff’s official Facebook page. “Also, our department is perpetually understaffed, overworked and asked to pull off miracles of providing the same level of quality service we always have while also facing steep budget cuts.” 

The federation announced on Facebook that the total cost of their economic proposals will be $41.1 million over two years, just 7 percent of the PCC general fund for 2023 alone. 

Despite efforts to spread awareness via Facebook and public demonstrations, a PCC student explained that little is known about the federation’s efforts. 

“One of my teachers mentioned it briefly, but based on the reactions she received most of [the students] were not aware of it until now.”

The federation continues to spread awareness through various means, including a 30-minute interview on Portland radio KBOO, in which they discussed preparing to strike. 

Marches took place across campuses throughout February; the federation warns they will continue to protest. A demonstration took place outside PCC Sylvania on Feb. 20, during which both students and the wider Oregon labor community came forward in support, as expressed by the PCCFCE. 

The bargaining team began the mediation process on March 19; the union stated on its Facebook page that management was closing the mediation sessions to the public despite efforts for a transparent negotiation. 

Workers are preparing to strike. 

“I think it’s good that they are standing up for themselves in any context, but especially in education,” said a PCC student. “It’s nice to see it for me and my school.” 

Future updates can be found on the PCCFCE Facebook page.