Parker Morgan
Staff Writer & Graphics Team

City of Tualatin hosts upcoming community events

Photo by Esmeralda De Leon-Boyas

Within the next few months Tualatin will be hosting several events that allow for locals to come together and connect. Over the years the city of Tualatin has offered various opportunities to participate in and learn more about the community. Through events hosted by the City of Tualatin, the public can help support local schools and businesses, allowing for the community to come together, creating a more involved and connected city. Whether they participate out of interest or as a volunteer, the community continues to benefit from these events.

Art in the Burbs is an event all about providing a space for local artists to display and sell their art. Each year, 20 percent of the earnings made at this event are donated to the Tigard-Tualatin School District, directly benefiting the art programs in elementary, middle and high schools in the district. This event not only provides donations to support local schools’ art programs, but it also provides an opportunity for student artists to meet local professional artists. This year, Art in the Burbs celebrates 24 years of expanding the art programs in local schools. 

Tualatin High School art teacher Breanna Gill shared her thoughts on this event. 

“It’s a fantastic event,” she said. “It’s a fundraiser that benefits all of our schools in the district. Every year, they have a collection of artists from all over the area who come and put up booths, and a percentage of the sales is donated to the [Tigard Tualatin Education] Foundation, which is distributed throughout the district to the different arts programs. Those sales have helped us purchase equipment, and have helped us participate in competitions. They have given kids a real opportunity to expand their voice in the arts.”  

Gill explained how Art in the Burbs has affected her students at Tualatin High in particular.

“In years past we’ve had a student gallery and community members have been able to see some of the artwork students have produced,” Gill said. “In some years, we’ve actually had the opportunity to sell some of the students’ artwork, and the students directly benefited with 100 percent of those sales. It changes year to year, but it’s a fantastic event, and I would encourage anybody to go.” 

Sophomore Lizbeth Morales Jeronimo is a student who has been involved with the programs that directly benefit from Art in the Burbs. 

“I think that it’s an interesting event,” she said. “And it’s good that our school is able to benefit from it.”

This event provides a space for everyone in the community, not just artists. However, for those not interested in art, the city of Tualatin has several other options. 

Here in Tualatin, April is recognized as Arbor Month. This is a way to remember the importance of trees in the area. One way Tualatin helps the community share its gratitude for the trees is by hosting a poetry contest. During the entire month of April, the city focuses on hosting events that allow the community to understand the significance of trees, such as Arbor Month Kid’s Poster Contest, Put Down Roots in Tualatin,  a scavenger hunt, and several other programs.

While these events may change from year to year, the various options that are offered encourage people to participate in something they are interested in and help their community.