Victoria Gillard
Victoria Gillard
Humor Editor & Social Media

Movie fans anticipate sequels, trilogies and quadrilogies

Art by Frida Ruiz

When was the last time a movie you liked needed a sequel but never got one? Or a movie that didn’t need a sequel got one? Sequels and trilogies have been a topic of discussion since their invention, whether it be an argument or agreement. Popular movies seem to inevitably invite sequels. 

The most recent is Dune: Part Two. The film has gained more and more watches and reviews from early premieres. Since the official theater release date, thoughts and opinions have steadily increased. Constant five-star reviews are listed on Letterboxd, Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 94 percent and it won an IMDb rating of 9/10, so the anticipation to see this is not a surprise. 

Dead Pool 3 will be released May 3. Was the sequel not enough? Does the first R-rated MCU movie need another makeover? There are many questions about this “anticipated sequel.” 

Wgtc.com stated excitement for the film was “fueled even further after Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman revealed the first look at their costumes.” 

Tualatin High School junior Grady Porter shared his perspective. 

“I am excited for the third movie because I enjoyed the last two!” 

With the arrival of summer, movie theaters will welcome Inside Out 2 in June and Despicable Me 4 in July. These are two more classics that fans never imagined they would see more of. Did the last 3 Despicable Me’s not suffice? Is more Inside Out something to be excited about?

With the conclusion of summer and introduction of fall, Joaquin Phoenix will return as the Joker. Lady Gaga will join as Harley Quinn in the Joker-inspired psychological thriller musical sequel Joker: Folie a Deux on Oct. 4, 2024. 

Tualatin High School senior Carsyn Koenig had some reservations. 

“I’m excited but unsure about it being a musical.” 

While sequels have done their original films justice, as well as gone completely wrong, in the past, anticipation of some sort is always there.