Boeing faces increasing questions about product quality, whether their corporate focus is on ethics or economics

Art by Parker Morgan

In recent years, there has been, without a doubt, an increase in a string of growing problems with Boeing planes. Former employees of the company attribute Boeing’s recent negligence to current owners cutting down on costs. This stems from a change in engineering focus to an accounting focus because of poor financial stability in the company. 

In Ethiopia and Indonesia in 2018 and 2019 respectively, two Boeing planes crashed as a result of flaws in the 737 MAX’s MCAS flight control software systems that led to a total of 346 deaths. 

Across the aircraft industry, COVID-19 made existing problems worse and forced many companies to stop production. Since then, those companies have produced planes which continue to decline in quality – something they once prided themselves on. This pause has resulted in Boeing mass-producing reused models and doing so with less maintenance, according to Engineering.com.

In recent years, critics of Boeing say cost concerns have seemingly overtaken quality and safety concerns. Engineering is such a vital aspect of innovating what we already know. However, when companies focus on economic value, engineering seemingly goes out the window.

Tualatin High School senior and Oregon State University Engineering commit Gerardo Vargas-Miranda explained how important engineering is.

“Engineering is a very important aspect of this world because I see it as a way to create many things you want,” Vargas-Miranda said. “Engineering helps you improve your skills from logical and critical thinking to being creative. I love solving problems and know I will never be bored in this field from trying to solve or create projects. I love working toward my goals and I know engineering will keep me busy and happy when I get into this field of work.”

Future engineers like Vargas-Miranda in the workforce who care about safety can help make travel safer for passengers and crew members. Most believe that a company like Boeing – which is responsible for transporting well over a million people every day  – should put cost out the window to ensure resources and time for their engineers, and as a result, safety for their travelers.