Lea Olivares Raudes
Fold Editor & Graphics Team

Explaining British royal family amidst Princess of Wales’ cancer diagnosis

Art by Frida Ruiz

The British royal family stands as an enduring symbol of tradition and national pride. 

For much of the 20th century and the first 20 years of the 21st, the family centered around the late Queen Elizabeth II, who was the mother-in-law to Princess Diana of Wales. Princess Diana died in 1997 due to injuries sustained in a fatal car crash. She was survived by her two sons, Prince William, Duke of Wales and Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex. Since Diana’s death, Prince William married British citizen Kate Middleton and Prince Harry married American actress Meghan Markle.

In January 2020, Prince Harry and Markle surprised the British public by announcing their intent to “step back” from their duties as Duke and Duchess of Sussex, members of the royal family. They have since moved to California. 

“Meghan Markle is an educated and powerful woman, and I am glad that she and Prince Harry were able to distance themselves from the Royal Family as needed. They made the best decision for their family and I respect them for that,” said Tualatin High School senior Helayna Sy.

Queen Elizabeth II died in 2022 and was succeeded to the throne by her son Charles III, who serves as the current King of England. King Charles was diagnosed with cancer in February. Adding to the uncertainty about the royal family after his diagnosis and considering his advanced age, the British public have begun contemplating the future of the monarchy after his death. Prince William and Princess Kate are the next in line to be King and Queen of England. 

Recently, Princess Kate has been absent from the public eye. In addition to the royal family releasing a photo of her with her children later proven to be edited, she and Prince William missed a royal engagement due to a “personal matter.” Because she had abdominal surgery in mid-January and hadn’t been seen in public since then, many people speculated that her absence was health related. 

On March 22, 2024, the royal family released a video of Princess Kate explaining that she has cancer and will be undergoing chemotherapy in the coming months. The public is hopeful for a full recovery so Princess Kate can return to her duties as Princess of Wales.

“Kate Middleton seems like a kind and grounded leader who will continue to bring prosperity to England. I wish her the best with her recent cancer diagnosis,” said Sy.