Lea Olivares Raudes
Fold Editor & Graphics Team

Ramadan: more than just a fast

Abstaining from eating and drinking from sunrise to sunset; that’s what comes to mind when some people think of Ramadan. Non-Muslims often associate this holy month for the 1.9 billion Muslims solely with fasting, which isn’t entirely a false assumption, as that’s what strains Muslims the most. But this month is not about longing for what you lack, but rather cherishing and being grateful for what you possess in their absence.

So what is Ramadan? Ramadan started around the time of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) 1400 years ago when God ordered Muslims to fast for 30 days. It commemorates the month during which the Quran, the holy book of Islam, was first revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) by the archangel Gabriel.

We refrain from eating, drinking, smoking and having intercourse during the daytime. At sunset, the fast is broken with a meal called iftar. While that’s the gist of it, I think what Muslims gain from the holy month depends from person to person. Personally, it gives me an appreciation for everything – no matter how small – I have. 

Each night for the past month, I’ve sat down and eaten a huge feast alongside cold water and dates with my whole family. When you take your first sip of water you immediately feel relieved, but as the month goes on, you realize that less fortunate people do this year-round, just without the feast and water. Without all that relief. Their days keep going; there is nothing at the end of the night they’re looking forward to, except sleep’s ability to silence the hunger and thirst they feel.

That realization makes me feel grateful for everything I have, no matter how small. I’m grateful for the food on my plate, the roof over my head, the clothes on my back and the loved ones around me. I can always have it worse is a motto I developed throughout this month.

“Not even water” and “what about your saliva” are not even close to the top things Muslims want you to know about Ramadan. This holy month is not just about abstaining from physical needs; it’s about purifying the soul, seeking forgiveness and striving to be a better person in all aspects of life. Ramadan is a beautiful opportunity for growth, not a dreaded span of refrain.