Kayla Vo
Kayla Vo
Co-Editor-in-Chief, Humor Editor, Website & Social Media

Beloved teachers finally ditch school calendar

At this time in the school year, the focus is all on the seniors, the students who have spent four years doing amazing things and who are now leaving. However, we want to take the time to also acknowledge two teachers who are retiring this year: science teachers Tom Duggan and Chris Murray. 

Murray and Duggan are the last two remaining teachers who have been here since the school opened in the fall of 1992. In all of Murray’s 31 years of teaching here at TuHS, one moment stands out in his memory. 

Opening the school more than 30 years ago,” he said. 

That year, the school put on a talent show, Murray recalled. 

“Since there was no Senior Class, the science staff stepped up and entered the talent show as a band called ‘Staph Infection,’ complete with two bass players and pyrotechnics. We sang the ‘Goggle song.’” 

What will Duggan miss most about teaching? 

I will miss the students, especially seeing them grow both academically and personally over their time at Tualatin High,” he said.

Once this year is over, Duggan plans to stay on as the varsity assistant basketball coach.

“I also will spend more time camping, golfing, rafting and going to concerts,” he said.

In September, Murray is planning to go to Portugal to hike the Camino de Santiago with friends. He has even more adventures planned after that. 

“[I will] hike and cross country ski more than just on the weekend,” Murray said. “I’ll travel not in the summer, listen to Irish and non-Irish music all the time, take fiddle lessons, start home projects and enjoy no alarm clocks every day.”

Two other long-time staff members are also retiring this spring. They are registrar Joyce Loper in the counseling office and reading and math teacher Kirsten Kish. So make sure to say goodbye to them, as well.

After lifetimes dedicated to public education, this break is definitely well deserved. So while we say goodbye to the students leaving, remember to thank the retirees for all they have done for TuHS.