Andrew Gerlach
Sports Editor

Why participating in activities was the best choice I have ever made

Photo+by+Daisy+Valencia+
Photo by Daisy Valencia

People say to join a sport or an extracurricular to build a stronger college resumé, but after four years of attending Tualatin High School, I realized that it is way more than just an extra bullet point.

My freshman year was tough, and having an online curriculum due to the COVID-19 pandemic limited the number of ways I could socialize with other students. However, all of the teachers tried their best to provide everyone with a good learning experience, even if it was not a classroom-esque setting. Each day, I would find my teachers’ positivity show on their faces and through their comments, which definitely motivated other students and me to engage with our studies and with each other, such as chatting in the chat box. 

After my freshman year came to an end, my sophomore year came by and was fully in-person. I wanted to find a sport to join, so I decided to give tennis a go. Going to practice right after school would seem like a hassle, but I instantly started looking forward to the coming days. 

The reason I held such a high regard for tennis was not only because it is a fun sport, but also because of the great people I have met. My teammates, whom I quickly befriended, are now some of my closest friends, and I am so honored to have met an amazing group. 

My sophomore year was also when I decided to join the Mu Alpha Theta Math Club, and I later became the president my senior year. My advisor saw my true potential, and through her, I was able to gain leadership skills and take on a multitude of opportunities given to me. 

As an upcoming physics major, my star teachers, chemistry teacher Thomas Duggan and physics teacher Christopher Murray, always made learning enjoyable and influenced my passion for science. 

During my senior year, I founded the Anime and Manga Club, and meeting people who share the same excitement and interest as I do was an amazing experience. 

I would like to thank my coaches, teachers and advisors for being the greatest mentors who never failed to inspire me to do more. I would also like to thank my teammates and friends for always cheering me on and being there for me when times were tough. 

From a fellow Tualatin senior and future alumnae, joining an extracurricular such as a club or sport and speaking with your teachers can open doors to more opportunities and help you meet great people. Take that one extra step.