All the madness: NCAA basketball tournament begins

Jake Lofamia, Graphic Artist/ Staff Writer

Two words: March Madness. It’s that time of year again!

All the top Division 1 college basketball teams will be competing to win it all in the NCAA tournament. March Madness also means that it’s bracket season. For those that don’t know, the March Madness bracket is something you fill out. The goal is to predict which teams would matchup against each other and win before the tournament starts. Everybody’s on the lookout to get that perfect bracket, yet it’s nearly impossible to do so. Did you know that there’s a better chance of being struck by lightning than having a perfect bracket? (The ratio is 1:9.2 quintillion.)

As top-tier universities such as Duke, Gonzaga and Virginia are considered to be the team that will cut down those nets and take home the championship this year, don’t sleep on those bracket-busting underdogs. Last year, the Loyola University Chicago Ramblers made noise in the tournament as they upset top teams like Miami and Tennessee to cruise their way onto the Final Four.

This year, the powerhouse team, Duke University, seems to be the one to beat. Their dynamic freshman duo is R.J. Barrett and Zion Williamson. With both Barrett and Williamson projected to either be the first or second pick in the following NBA draft, it wouldn’t be surprising to see a lot of brackets with Duke winning it all.

Yet again, it’s win or go home in this tournament. As the-top ranking teams are set to prove themselves, soon-to-be underdogs will rise, meaning that anything can happen.