Tualatin’s seniors reminisce about athletic seasons

Naiya Gates, Co-Humor Editor

A high school sports team is always encouraged, led and even defined by its seniors. This year, many of Tualatin’s seniors have had remarkable seasons in their respective sports, leading their teams as captains and role models, while others are still eagerly waiting for their sports to come into season. 

A few senior athlete standouts include Ben Augee, Athena Larson and Shannon Hunt. 

Here are a few words each student had to say about their time playing their sport. 

What sports did you partake in and for how long?

Ben Augee: I took part with the boys’ varsity soccer team my junior and senior years.

Athena Larsen: I have been dancing for about 10 years now and have danced for three years with TuHs Dance Team.

Shannon Hunt: I have played tennis here since freshman year. I began playing in 8th grade. This will be my fourth year playing at school.

What was your proudest moment during your time playing?

Augee: I would say my proudest moment would be nutmegging Coach Egan and Coach Duke at practice.

Larsen: My proudest moment from being on the team was winning the Jazz Category Championship with a superior score. It’s the kind of dance you put your blood, sweat and tears into, and to receive such a high honor is incredibly rewarding. 

Hunt: My proudest moment was when I was playing a singles match last season and I was playing really well, and I realized just how much I’ve improved and how much my practice has paid off. 

Are you planning on playing in college?

Augee: I am not planning to play soccer in college.

Larsen: When I go to college, I do not plan on dancing competitively; however, I would like to continue it as a hobby so I have time to focus on school, as well as try out some other sports like cheer.

Hunt: I am planning on playing in college! Probably on a club team or intramural. I joined the team here because I love playing tennis, so I definitely want to keep playing, regardless of where I end up going to school.

What was the most memorable part of your experience?

Augee: The most memorable moments would be Coach Carlos’s pregame motivational speeches in the huddles before kick off.

Larsen: By far the most memorable part of my time on the dance team was during our 2020-2021 season. When we began in the fall, we weren’t allowed to practice inside, so we spent many cold nights dancing on the track and football field. It was undoubtedly the strangest season we’ve ever had, but I really think it helped us become stronger dancers and build the foundation for the amazing team we have now.

Hunt: The most memorable part for me has been all the friends I’ve made while on the team. I can’t say it was actually playing with them, since I’m playing by myself, but I enjoy practicing with the team and everything we’ve done outside of practice. 

As the seniors inspired many teammates throughout their journey, this is what a few underclassmen thought of the older athletes they got to play alongside.

Most admirable traits of the seniors on your team?

Axel De La Torre, junior: [Ben’s] most admirable traits would include his quick thinking and the overall impact he has on others around him. He pushes his teammates to the max and is very motivating.

Lola Bruce, freshman: The most admirable trait of Athena is her passion for our team; she is always working so hard. She is always there to help anyone.

Anna Boswell, junior: Shannon always played really hard in every match. She’s a very determined and persistent player.

Best memory of them?

De La Torre:  One of my favorite memories with Ben would have to be playing soccer tennis in his driveway for hours long in the summer. Some of our friends would join us, and it was always a very competitive and fun environment.

Bruce: One of the best memories I have of Athena is her doing everyone’s makeup at our dance competitions. 

Boswell: I remember that Shannon always spent time helping the younger players learn to play better and smarter.

There is so much to love about the team atmosphere in high school sports and the amazing talent behind the records and championships. Countless hours have been dedicated from these specific individuals in upholding Tualatin’s reputation as a fierce competitor and humble opponent, recognized by their very own teammates.