Lea Olivares Raudes
Staff Writer & Graphics Team

Bailey balances academics, hockey training with elite team

Photo courtesy of Jamie Varblow

Hockey is not as prominent here in the Pacific Northwest (PNW) as it is on the East Coast and in Canada. However, we do have some elite players in the PNW. I sat down and talked to one of Tualatin’s finest. Zack Bailey, a senior at Tualatin High School (TuHS),  discussed his life as a hockey player in Oregon. 

“My dad’s side of the family is from Colorado,” Bailey said. “It’s kind of ingrained into our family. I started playing when I was 4 or 5.”  

Bailey’s grandfather is who got him hooked on the sport, but ultimately, his older brother was his inspiration. 

“Watching my brother play hockey, that was the main reason I wanted to play. I thought, I want to do that, just like him.”

Bailey is currently playing for a junior hockey team located in Beaverton: The Portland Junior Winterhawks. The program has three national championships. 

“I’ve only ever played with this program,” he said. “Right now I play on the 18U single A select team. We take all the elite players in the Portland metro area.” 

Though Bailey is an accomplished hockey player, he also is an International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma candidate. He handles both workloads with grace. 

“I realized the time I spend playing hockey and training is important to my mental health,” Bailey said. “I try to focus on what I’m doing, whether it’s doing school work or playing hockey. Eight o’clock to six o’clock is designated for school. Anytime after that is for hockey.” 

Keeping hockey and school separate is one of the most important ways Bailey stays motivated. His motivation is truly just a mindset of determination to better himself and his future. 

“Both are a part of me and instrumental to who I am and my future.”