NCAA men’s basketball tournament coming to Portland

Graphic by Isabella Kneeshaw

Anna Sherman, Co-Sports Editor

March Madness is one of the biggest sporting events worldwide. With the abnormal NCAA Tournament from last year due to the effects of COVID-19, this year aims to get things back on track. Fans will be welcomed back, and the tournament will be held in multiple cities, one of those being our very own Portland, Ore. 

The last time the NCAA men’s basketball tournament came to Portland was in 2015. The Moda Center will host the first and second rounds of the tournament – same as in 2015. Looking at ESPN’s NCAA Bracketology, it is predicted that the No. 1 seed Gonzaga will make an appearance here in Portland. The official dates are March 17 and 19, with four games the first day and two the second. 

Gonzaga’s Ben Gregg, Matthew Lang and Will Graves are all native Oregonians. Ben Gregg or “The Vanilla Gorilla” is a sophomore who played at Clackamas High School before committing to Gonzaga. Matthew Lang is a Jesuit graduate, and Will Graves is the son of Oregon women’s basketball head coach Kelly Graves. Portland can expect to see some familiar faces on the court, as well as crazy talent. 

Portland is becoming a hotspot for men’s and women’s college basketball. Next fall, Phil Knight’s PK85 will return for a second time after the PK80 held in 2017. This was originally a tournament held to celebrate Phil Knight’s 80th birthday. Knight is the co-founder of Nike. This coming year, there will be a bracket for both the men’s and women’s sides, hosting some of the best teams in the nation and all taking place in Portland. 

Selection Sunday will take place on March 13, setting the stage for what’s to come. March does not look to disappoint this year, with top talent coming to Portland and tickets available for fans wanting to watch in-person.