Try something new this summer

Graphic by Sam Dunn.

Alex Ehrhart, Staff Writer

As the school year comes to an end, excitement for the summer is spilling out of students and flooding the halls. Students are restless in their seats, counting down the days until the final bell of this school year rings. Whether you are excited to hang out at a friend’s house, go on vacation, swim in the river or simply bask in the sun, there are countless things to look forward to. 

A great way to meet new friends to share the summer with is by joining a summer sport. As well as meeting new people and making great memories, participating in summer training – even if it’s just for the summer – will raise your fitness level and form healthy habits that could last the rest of your life.

The summer sports offered at Tualatin High School include football, soccer and cross country. While all three sports offer a junior varsity (JV) and varsity team, cross country is a no-cut sport, and unlike the other two, it does not require tryouts – meaning anybody, regardless of experience or fitness level, can show up and run. 

TuHS senior Aaron Lakeman has been running distance competitively for over seven years. 

Q: What would you say to someone considering joining?

A: “I think cross country practice during the summer is one of the best sports offered at our school. Coach Bonica is passionate about the sport —  he teaches you to love running and shows how beneficial running is. It’s the perfect summer sport; you get to meet amazing people and do so many fun things, like how we run to Donutland and 7/11.”

Q: Do you have a favorite memory/highlight from summer training?

A: “My favorite days of summer training are when the sun’s out and everyone is smiling early in the morning, ready to get after it and have a great day. There’s nothing better than waking up early and going on a nice run with your friends, then hanging out the rest of the day.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about summer training?

A: “I love knowing we are all working towards similar goals – with different expectations – and are all in it together, trying to get faster and enjoying the hobby/sport of running! All types of people run, from people wanting to win state to people just wanting to try and run every day. It’s a wide variety, and everyone respects everyone as long as you just have fun and try your best.”

TuHS junior Jalissabeth Moreno has been playing soccer since the age of 5.

Q: What is your favorite memory from playing soccer on the varsity team?

A: “A favorite memory that I had playing with the teams during the season is doing team bonding throughout the season and getting to know everyone and having a bond with them.”

Q: How has playing soccer had a positive impact on your life?

A: “It has had a positive impact on my life because of the way I felt like I was a part of more than a team. I really felt like everyone had their own role in the team, including me, and it really felt like a family.”

No matter what sport you are interested in or fitness level you are currently at, joining a summer sport is a great way to make your summer memorable and beneficial. Many compare joining a sport to joining a family: the bond of a sports team is unbreakable, and will last for years. So what are you waiting for? Go sign up for a summer sport, and have fun.