Akash Balakumar
Akash Balakumar
Co-Editor-in-Chief/CFO/CMO

Surviving times calls for good media

Photo by Olivia Beauchemin

As the days grow shorter but seem to drag on more than ever, entertaining yourself is a must to get through this cold season. Here are some indie movies that help me keep pushing through the frigid weather and draining days.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975): Rated R, Musical Horror, directed by Jim Sharman

This movie will forever be one of my favorites. It’s a musical horror about a couple that gets stranded and discovers a house in which they meet a group of people who show them the world that they were missing out on; non-traditional and unique. It is the perfect mix of musicality and eccentric style. It serves as a paradoxical take on horror and sci-fi movies from the 1930s to the 1970s. Coming in at 1h 38m, the entirety of the movie will keep you engaged and confused in the best way possible. The soundtrack is phenomenal, and the musical aspect of the movie just highlights it. A brief warning, however: there is a scene depicting sexual violence, but other than that, all that justifies the rating is brief violence, strong language and semi-nude scenes.

Overall 10/10.

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014): Rated R, Drama/Comedy, directed by Wes Anderson

Following the theme of mind-bendingly great movies, this one is a good contender. The calming color palette and costume designs are a great contrast to the intricate plot. The movie takes place in a 1930s hotel unlike any other you’ve seen. With Ralph Fiennes and Bill Murray, this 1h 40m movie is perfectly quirky and confusing at the same time, but that comes with any Wes Anderson film. The soundtrack suits the movie well, but I wouldn’t recommend it for everyday listening. The rating comes from brief violence, sexual content and language.

Overall 9/10.

Juno (2007): Rated PG-13, Indie film/Drama, directed by Jason Reitman

This movie will forever have the best soundtrack of any other indie movie. Starring Elliot Page and Michael Cera, the perfect duo of the movie screen, this film serves as the perfect tear-jerking comfort movie. The homey setting and comforting actors act as the perfect complement to the relatable plot and mood. The movie follows Juno, a teen parent who navigates life as best as they can. It perfectly represents how teenagers’ questionable decisions help them get through day to day life. The rating comes from language.

Overall perfect.