Olivia Trone
Olivia Trone
Co-Editor-in-Chief

From kitchen to heart: sharing family dishes that bind us together

Art by Sam Dunn

Food is more than a way to fulfill your cravings; it’s a gesture to show love and compassion. Sharing foods can be a love language to show the ones you care about how much you enjoy experiencing a delicious meal together. 

Many recipes have been passed down through generations, which brings people together and creates  a sense of community. The Wolf interviewed  Tualatin High School (TuHS) seniors Gayathmie Weerasinghe and Fifi Karam for their favorite family dishes, to see how dishes can be more than just food. 

What is a family dish that you can’t live without? 

Weerasinghe: If I had to pick one, it’d be Sri Lankan kottu. It’s basically Sri Lankan fried rice, just without the rice. It’s made up of godamba roti that’s shredded and mixed with vegetables, meats, eggs and a mix of spices, then griddled until it’s done. I like it because there are so many components to it, so every bite feels like a different experience. It’s literally a flavor bomb.

Karam: Dolma. It’s a mix of rice, cut up vegetables and seasonings that’s wrapped into grape leaves, onion and other vegetables and simmered in broth while it boils. I like the process of making it especially with friends and family because it takes a lot of effort, and it’s something that I’m good at making.

How does it bind you with the people you love?

Weerasinghe: It’s a big deal in my family because my dad is the only one who makes it, and he’s not the best at cooking. Each person in the family has a say in what they want in it, so it’s super personalized to people’s taste. It’s one of those dishes where everyone is involved in some way, so it definitely brings us together. 

Karam: Each family has its own way of making it, and since it takes a lot of effort, everyone works together to finish it. Also, when trying other people’s Dolma, you can really taste the difference in how other families and cultures make it. There’s no one way to make it, and I think it’s cool that my family has its own special way.