TuHS teams reflect on 2021-22 sports season

Anna Sherman, Co-Sports Editor

As the 2021-2022 school year comes to an end, The Wolf reflected on the accomplishments and successes of each sports team during their respective seasons. It was rewarding to see athletes compete on the big stage after the unfamiliar season they faced due to COVID. 

Starting off with the fall sports: the football team was heavily favored as they had a large and experienced senior class. They fell just short of a state championship, but clenched that 2nd place spot and carried the pride of being league champions. Both the boys’ and girls’ soccer teams placed 3rd in league, making it to playoffs but losing in the first round. The girls’ cross country team placed 4th in districts, and the boys placed 2nd. A combined 14 athletes qualified for state. The volleyball team made it to playoffs, but were knocked off in the first round despite tremendous efforts. They placed 6th in league. The boys’ and girls’ water polo squads had another first round playoff loss, but had a successful season nonetheless. 

Our boys’ basketball team won the state championship for the first time in school history, along with clinching the league title. Students were able to support them as they competed at the Chiles Center. As for the girls’ team, they placed 4th in the league and took a loss in the first round of the playoffs. Wrestling had 13 athletes qualify for state. Our swim team took two individual athletes to state, along with four kids in relays. The cheer team had a great season, finishing 2nd in state. And the dance team danced their way to 4th in state. 

Many spring sports have just wrapped up. The baseball team lost to Sherwood in the 2nd round, and ended the season with a 16-12 record. Softball took a loss as well in the 2nd round to West Linn, but finished the season 18-8. Boys’ and girls’ tennis both finished 5th in their conference. Boys’ track finished 2nd in conference, and the girls were right there with 3rd. Many track athletes competed at state, winning several individual and relay medals. One girl golfer qualified for state, and while the boys had none this year, they are sure to get some next season. 

The OSAA comes out with a top 10 All-State Academic ranking for each sport, and some of our Tualatin High School teams made the list: the dance team, cheer team, boys’ basketball team and swim team.

A big congrats to all the teams for their achievements and efforts this season. Roll Wolves!