57th Super Bowl approaches as fans speculate about MVP candidates

Graphic by Isabella Kneeshaw.

Juliana Villanueva, Staff Writer

The renowned National Football League (NFL) will soon reach 57 seasons in hosting the Super Bowl Championship: one of the most watched televised games in the US. Super Bowl LVII will be hosted at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. on Sunday, Feb. 12. The stadium is home to the Arizona Cardinals. However, the team was not able to clinch a playoff spot this season, which means their chances of appearing in the Super Bowl have evaporated. 

And that brings up the question, who exactly will appear in this year’s famed Super Bowl Championship? Tualatin High School (TuHS) football player, junior Trace Bell, shared what he thinks. 

“Probably the 49ers and the Chiefs. They’ve been playing extremely well,” Bell stated. 

The San Francisco 49ers have had an outstanding season indeed, and it’s no surprise that the Kansas City Chiefs also did remarkably as they won Super Bowl LVI. 

Who will appear at the Super Bowl is not the only question on football fans’ minds; they also wonder who will win the award for Most Valuable Player (MVP). 

Bell predicted, “Patrick Mahomes. I think he’ll win the MVP. He threw for over 5,000 yards passing.” 

Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes’ performance this year definitely put him on the charts. Mahomes is only one of three quarterbacks — others being Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Tom Brady and now-retired NFL player Drew Brees — who have thrown for over 5,000 yards in multiple seasons. 

Another TuHS football player, senior Heath Bradfield, shared his take on the Super Bowl. 

“I’d love to say the [Dallas] Cowboys, but being realistic, I really like the 49ers’ chances, and I really like the Chiefs’ chances to make it to the Super Bowl,” Bradfield shared. 

The 49ers starting quarterback, Jimmy Garoppolo, injured his ankle during the game against the Miami Dolphins on Sunday, Dec. 4 last year. However, the 49ers were able to win that game with a score of 33-17. Rookie quarterback Brock Purdy was subbed and put in for the remainder of the game. 

Through the games Garoppolo missed, Purdy and the 49ers proceeded to clinch a spot in the divisional round. 

“I think Jalen Hurts [should win MVP since he] has made a really strong case,” Bradfield stated.

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts led his team to claiming the number one spot in their conference. He has thrown for over 3,500 yards and scored more than 20 touchdowns. 

Other than the Super Bowl, this Super Bowl’s Halftime Show featuring singer Rihanna is also generating a lot of buzz. No one would want to miss that.