Victoria Gillard
Victoria Gillard
Humor Editor & Social Media

Football audiences cheer for themed games

Photo courtesy of K2 Digital Photo

This fall, Tualatin High School (TuHS) has held a number of themed football games to boost school spirit. Every game has had a different theme, which has increased the excitement of Friday night football. The following are the ideas that students came up with and executed. 

On Sept. 1, students had a beach day. Students filled the bleachers in Hawaiian shirts, glasses and beach accessories. The following week, everyone dressed up in our school’s colors  for “Rep Tualatin,” which turned the stadium into a sea of enthusiastic crimson, white and black.The song “Party in the USA” set off a patriotic explosion on Sept. 15 as students wore their red, white and blue to show their support for their country. Then, on Sept. 29, it was “Game of Gold,” where people wore golden attire to support International Childhood Cancer Awareness.

Pink was the color of choice for Oct. 5’s “Barbie: Life in the Dreamhouse,” which raised awareness and money for breast cancer research. The Homecoming game on Oct. 13 had a “Midnight” theme, and students chose to wear all-black attire. It was time for a “Day in the Rodeo” on Oct. 20, where participants could channel their inner cowboys and cowgirls. 

The thrills don’t end there, though. The next theme, “Glow in the Dark” will take place on Oct. 27 and promises to illuminate the stadium. Students are urged to use their imagination when using vivid, fluorescent colors to make the stands gleam at night versus Tigard, our top rivals. 

“These themes are really important in uniting our student body and making all students feel a part of our school, not just because they’re wearing the same clothes, but because they all feel like they belong,” Olivia Trone, ASB president, said.

These themed football games give the students at TuHS  a chance to bond, have fun and spread awareness for worthy causes in addition to showcasing the outstanding school spirit at Tualatin. It is obvious that TuHS  is raising the bar for passionate, neighborhood-building events, as enthusiasm for the next “Glow in the Dark” game grows.