Alex Ehrhart
Alex Ehrhart
News Editor

Chasing pucks and breaking barriers: Historical changes for professional women’s sports

Logo courtesy of thePWHL.com
Logo courtesy of thePWHL.com

The Professional Women’s Hockey League (PWHL) has been in a state of constant change for the last 25 years. The advances the league has made are historical as, officially starting this year, women’s hockey is finally known as a professional league. 

Over the past 25 years, the changes made to the league have been miniscule but drastic. Women’s hockey has been fighting for stability and the chance to be taken seriously for years. After years of rebranding and failed attempts to create a league, 2024 will be the year for women’s hockey. 

The league revealed that there are six franchises, and they will have a 24-game season that began in January. Three teams were founded in the US, and the other three call Canada home. The American teams are located in Boston, New York City and Minneapolis-St. Paul. The Canadian teams are in the cities of Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. 

Team names, jersey design, logos and home arenas are yet to be known. We have been told that the Professional Women’s Hockey League (PWHL) will play games in multiple different-sized facilities. They will range from NHL-sized rinks to minor- and junior-sized rinks.

The PWHL plans to stream games and hopes to gain TV coverage. The full 2024 season schedule will be announced soon. It is assumed to be run from early January through May or early June. There will be a break in the season for the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) Women’s World Championship. 

The league plans to have a major presence in NHL events in hopes to grow the women’s league and love for the sport.