Jaden Steppe
Jaden Steppe
Staff Writer

Books with screen adaptations to add to your reading, watchlist.

Art+by+Frida+Ruiz+
Art by Frida Ruiz

Whether you love to read or love to watch TV, you need to experience these four stories as they unravel on the screen. 

All The Light We Cannot See, Anthony Doerr

If you’re an upperclassman, you might remember this book from sophomore year English. You can now see this story brought to life in the new film adaptation directed by Shawn Levy. For anyone who isn’t familiar with this book, All the Light We Cannot See  is a war novel set during World War II. 

The love story is between a French blind girl named Marie-Laure Leblanc and German soldier Werner Pfennig. The book highlights both characters’ lives throughout the war and their internal struggles with what’s happening in the world.

Elvis and Me: The True Story of the Love Between Priscilla and the King of Rock n’ Roll 

Priscilla Presley

A memoir by Priscilla Presley, the book follows the love story between Priscilla and the King of Rock, Elvis. She mentions everything from how they met to the struggles they faced in their relationship that ultimately led to their divorce.

There are two different screen adaptations. The 1988 adaptation was a two-part miniseries that aired on ABC and was directed by Larry Peerce. The 2023 adaptation Priscilla directed by Sofia Coppola has received a generous number of positive reviews.

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Suzanne Collins 

Prequel to the original Hunger Games trilogy, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes  is set in a dystopian society 64 years before the first Hunger Games novel begins. The book was released digitally due to COVID-19, and the film adaptation was released in 2023.

The movie was a huge hit and began to trend on TikTok not long after its release. Many enjoy the love story between characters Coriolanus Snow and Lucy Gray Baird; viewers began to question if Snow was really a bad guy.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Roald Dahl 

We all know the story of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, originally written by Roald Dahl, and most have seen the 2005 screen adaptation of the story, as well. The adventure begins when a young boy wins a tour of the most beautiful chocolate factory in the world, where everything is made of chocolate and has the strangest chocolatiers.