Evelyn Rusnac
Staff Writer

The Crucial Role of Women in the Film Industry

Arte por Frida Ruiz

In film, the portrayal and significance of women are extremely necessary. Through film, women from different backgrounds, races, ages and abilities have created and starred in projects that resonate profoundly with audiences worldwide. These portrayals go beyond simple entertainment – they inspire, challenge stereotypes and reflect the diverse experiences of womanhood. 

The roles women play in the film industry create a path to a more inclusive environment. Through their roles, women in film are powerful in shaping narratives that captivate any moviegoer’s mind and heart.

The groundbreaking achievement of Kathryn Bigelow, the first woman to receive the Academy Award for Best Director for The Hurt Locker, marked an important milestone in the film industry for women. Todate, eight women have been nominated for the award other than Bigelow, including Lina Wertmüller, Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola, Greta Gerwig, Chloé Zhao, Emerald Fennell and Justine Triet.​​ Bigelow’s achievement marked not only the first personal win, but also a huge step forward for women in the entertainment industry, a sign that the traditionally male-dominated industry was evolving in a big way. Bigelow’s success paved the way for more recognition for women behind the camera. 

This legacy of breaking barriers continues when it comes to the impact of female writers, who play an extremely important role in shaping the narratives and characters they create. Writing about unique perspectives, nuanced storytelling and authentic voices in their scripts,writers like Diablo Cody – who is known for her screenplay for Juno – have a certain acclaim for their ability to craft authentic and compelling stories centered around complex female characters. Cody’s work questioned traditional coming-of-age narratives and provided a real take on teenage pregnancy, which rightfully earned her an Academy Award. 

Actresses continue to be the heart and soul of many films. They display a diverse range of roles that expand the representation of women on screen. Iconic actresses like Meryl Streep have captivated audiences for decades with amazing performances. Streep’s ability to inhabit a variety of characters has earned her several awards. Other actresses like Lupita Nyong’o, Saoirse Ronan and Taraji Henson are celebrated for their talent and their advocacy for gender equality and diversity in the film industry, leaving a lasting impact on women in film.  

These actresses continue to share stories of womanhood that others either don’twant to tell or have trouble portraying authentically. This authenticity is what makes women in the industry so powerful. They bring a fresh perspective to dig into the complexities of female experiences and truths. This storytelling provides a mirror for women to see themselves in and challenges societal norms and perceptions. These women are paving the way for a new generation of filmmakers and actresses to embrace the diversity of women’s stories and their representationon screen.