Emma Regimbald
Emma Regimbald
Staff Writer

TikTok previews new music streaming platform

Art by Frida Ruiz

TikTok Music – recently released in 163 countries – was designed to blend seamlessly with the fifth most popular social media platform in the world: TikTok. 

This new music streaming app allows its users to sync their accounts with TikTok to listen to the full version of their favorite TikTok sounds. Subscribers are able to connect with other users with similar music interests by commenting and interacting with each other, creating a unique music community within the app. 

Similar to other music streaming services, users can create and find playlists, as well as collaborate with others to create joint playlists. TikTok Music includes all of TikTok’s popular sounds in full version and also releases new songs from emerging artists. 

Some things that are unique to this new app are its improved features, like connecting with other users and allowing subscribers to express themselves within the music community. TikTok Music was created to mesh seamlessly with TikTok and enhance each user’s experience with the app. 

There are also rumors of a new feature being introduced on the TikTok app, allowing users to save sounds they love to their preferred music app. This includes Amazon Music and Spotify. 

TikTok Music is also offering a Beta testing program for new users. Those who sign up can use and review the app. This is a cool opportunity because Beta testers get early access to their new features and are encouraged to give feedback and report any bugs or issues within the app prior to its release. 

TikTok Music Premium has priced an individual subscription at $8.99 per month, but allows users a one-month free trial. They also have a family plan that allows up to six accounts for $18.99. University students may even be eligible for the student subscription, which is $5.99 every month. The premium version gives users full access to high quality audio and a wide range of music from the TikTok app and other music, as well. 

So far, TikTok Music is supported on Apple iPads, Apple Watches and CarPlays as well as PCs. However, TikTok Music is open to other suggested devices and encourages potential users to reach out with suggestions and questions about the platform and its features. 

Though TikTok Music has yet to be released in the United States, it is currently available in many other countries, causing anticipation among current TikTok users in America. 

“I can’t wait for TikTok Music to come to the United States,” Craig Evans, a Tualatin High School teacher, said. 

Hopefully TikTok Music will reach the U.S. soon, as there are many people eager to give it a go and stream their favorite TikTok sounds in full version.