Kayla Vo
Kayla Vo
Co-Editor-in-Chief, Humor Editor, Website & Social Media

Saying goodbye to my favorite places in Tualatin

As time passes and graduation nears, I find myself reflecting on the many cherished places I will leave behind that have been a significant part of my life. The idea of saying goodbye to Oregon and leaving for college in Arizona is bittersweet, as they hold countless memories and have shaped my journey through growing up.

One of the first places that comes to mind is the Martinazzi Starbucks. Being only a few minutes from my house, this Starbucks isn’t just a coffee shop to me. It holds memories of lunches during school, meeting up with friends, and breakfast together after a fun night. As I prepare to leave Tualatin, I know I’ll miss this Starbucks a lot. It’s a place of comfort, friendships and other good memories. 

Tualatin is full of green spaces like our neighborhood parks. Years of soccer practices and park playdates echo through them. The parks here offer a snapshot of the giant evergreen trees that I think about when I picture our city.

We take for granted these places around our city. They are just places for coffee or for playing in the sun or for shopping, until they aren’t down the street anymore. When I leave for Tucson, there will inevitably be a new coffee shop (probably still Starbucks!), but it won’t be the one whose walls remember late-start Wednesdays in middle school. And the park in my new city will probably be beautiful, but it won’t be the one where I hunted Easter eggs. 

I feel a mix of emotions, knowing that next year I’ll miss the green landscapes and familiar places that will always hold a special place in my heart. The thing is, though, that although I am ready and excited to graduate, I repress the thoughts about moving away from my friends and family. I can’t think about the reality that will mean packing up and leaving. These things can wait until August. Until then, meet me at Starbucks on Martinazzi?