Kayla Vo
Kayla Vo
Co-Editor-in-Chief, Humor Editor, Website & Social Media

Reasons to love handmade gifts

Photo by Lisa Garpestad

Whenever the opportunity arises for gift giving, I am extremely happy to both give and receive presents, no matter what they are. However, I have noticed that I really appreciate handmade gifts. This is for a variety of reasons, but I can think of several instances in the past that made me understand this. 

When I was little, my older cousin used to make me friendship bracelets out of string. I wore these bracelets until they broke off, and I still have them in an old eyeglass case to this day. Another time, one of my friends recycled an old pillow case by sewing a stuffed cat for me, which was not only impressive, but super sweet. 

I think what I mainly enjoy about handmade gifts is how they show creative thought and work. It is much easier to go to the store and buy a gift. These gifts have tons of meaning, too, but I stand by the opinion that nothing beats a gift that someone makes for you. It doesn’t even have to be good; as long as it shows effort, it is extremely special. You know someone truly cares about you if they are willing to sit down and put in the work in order to make something that they think you will like. It also holds special memories because you may forget where you got something like a shirt, but you will never forget the story of a handmade gift. It allows you to hold on to the people who love you the most. 

There are other added bonuses to handmade gifts. Overconsumption is such a massive problem in America, which is only made worse by people endlessly spending and buying gifts for others that may be thrown out in a few years anyways. Handmade gifts can also be made from recycled materials, which means fewer old items end up in landfills. It’s a really great way to show someone that you care about them and help the planet, too.