Alex Ehrhart
Alex Ehrhart
News & Opinion Editor

Why I don’t regret my high school relationship

One of the questions I get asked the most as graduation quickly approaches is, “Are you and your boyfriend going to stay together after you both graduate?” This question has never made sense to me because it has never been something that has crossed my mind. We have been together ever since we were in sophomore year, and now that we are seniors so close to graduation, we know that we deeply love and care for one another, so why would we not try after we leave high school? 

Our relationship has been so wonderful for me. I feel like I won the magical lottery ticket or got my wish from a genie because, in him, I have found my best friend and the person I want to spend every day with. Of course, I enjoy when we go out on dates or when we go on trips, but mostly I enjoy the days when we have absolutely nothing to do – the days when we go on long drives and are not expected to be at work or at school at a certain time. 

Not only this, but having a partner in high school has been, in my experience, a very beneficial part of my life. Having a partner who helps me grow and figure out who I am as a person is something I didn’t know I would need in a significant other. However, this is the most important quality in a relationship. You need to have the ability to grow individually while still being with your significant other and know that, as you grow up with another person, they will change. 

I am so thankful to be in a joy-filled and loving relationship, and I do not regret for one moment choosing to be in such a long-term relationship at a young age. This fall, I will be going off to Oregon State University, and he will be enlisting in the Air Force. While I do not know exactly what the future holds, I know that I am grateful for the time I have been able to spend with him. I know in my heart that he has been the best part of my high school experience, and in the end, no matter what, I hope his future is filled with happiness.