Women in Sports

Art by Teagan Gaviola // Copy and Sports Editor

Ally Smith, Fold Editor

Women in sports have battled their way to the front lines, often being underestimated by their male counterparts. However, now there are countless women proving their abilities and paving the way for young girls with a passion for their sports.

Simone Biles

Simone Biles is a beast in the world of gymnastics. There is no other gymnast near the skill or technique level of Biles, and nobody can compete with her. She is a shoe-in for the 2020 Olympic team and dominated the floor in Rio with four gold medals and one bronze. She holds the record for most medals at the World Championships, with a grand total of 25 medals,19 of which are gold. 

For those not involved in the gymnastics world, it is difficult to understand the sheer talent of Biles. For example, she has four skills in the FIG Code of Points named after her, as she has been the only person to successfully master these skills. 

However, Biles’ success is not the only thing inspiring the new generation of Olympic-hopeful gymnasts; Biles came from a complicated past. Her mother struggled to keep custody of her due to recurring issues with drug abuse. Eventually she was adopted by her grandparents, who helped her every step of the way to success. Her journey wasn’t easy, and it is her dedication and determination that allowed her to be the dominating gymnast she is known as today.

Serena Williams

Serena Williams is a well-known name in the world of tennis. With her large array of championship titles and Olympic medals, her fame has stood the test of time. Tennis is a sport often overlooked by younger generations, but Williams has been able to bring attention to the sport for all audiences. Her fire and dedication to success were inspiring to countless women, especially as the most popular female in the sport. 

It is also important to mention Venus Willians while highlighting Serena. The two sisters have been a power duo in many competitions, and earned three gold medals in the Olympics for their success as doubles partners. The two also won 14 Grand Slam titles as doubles partners. However, on her own, Serena has won even more awards. She holds the record, regardless of gender, for the most Grand Slam titles a whopping 23. She is an unstoppable force in the world of tennis, and it is undeniable among all fans.

Katie Sowers

Katie Sowers became the first woman to ever coach in the Super Bowl. She is the offensive assistant for the 49ers and has been working for the team for the past three seasons. She started as an intern for the Falcons and quickly fit into the male-dominated field. She is one of the eight women currently working for the NFL, and of those, only half are in full-time positions. She is advocating for a heavier presence of women in the sport, and in an interview with ESPN she praised that, “even though I’m the first, the most important thing is I’m not the last and we continue to grow it.” 

Sowers always aimed to be involved in the sport, even though the odds were stacked against her. Her determination led her to where she is: an inspiration to countless young girls.

Sabrina Ionescu

Sabrina Ionescu is a college player for the University of Oregon. As a talented high school player, she received countless offers from colleges. However, she unexpectedly visited UO and told the coach that she was going to play as a Duck. She was the first ever NCAA male or female to score 2,000 career points, 1,000 career assists and 1,000 career rebounds. Her success is incomparable to other competitors in the NCAA, women and men alike. She is also associated with many basketball superstars, such as the late Kobe Bryant, and was a mentor for Gigi Bryant. Just as she was for Gigi, she continues to be an inspiration for young players.

Gigi Bryant

Hearing the name Bryant, most people instantly think of the late and great Kobe Bryant. However, his daughter Gigi Bryant always looked up to her father’s basketball stardom. When fans of Kobe asked how his legacy would continue without a son, Gigi was always quick to step in and claim that she was perfectly capable of carrying on her father’s legacy. Gigi never let her gender affect her confidence, and instead let it motivate her to prove those who doubted her wrong. Her fierce dedication to the sport was unmatched, and it is truly a tragedy that she is not going to be able to prove her potential success.