April Fool’s prank ideas

Naiya Gates, Staff Writer

April Fool’s Day is the only day of the year that you can let out your mischievous side and get away with it. From shock pens to fake bugs, I have fallen for many tricks in the past, and this year, revenge is on my mind. Retaliation will be sweet with these light and funny pranks, and will keep April Fool’s Day as the fun and humor-filled day it was always intended to be.

One idea is to add random pictures to the family picture wall at home. Sneak in a portrait of Kim Jong-un or maybe your mom’s high school ex. Even if your family notices right away, they might just love the new additions and decide to keep them there permanently. 

Another mind-boggling trick works when you change your contact in a friend’s phone to the name of their mom. Then text them that they are so busted and that you know about all the disobedient things that they have done. I’ve tried this myself, and I’m proud to say it works like a charm.

In honor of the semi-new Star Wars movie, this prank will make an unlucky stranger reconsider their whole perspective on life; invite a friend and go to a public place such as a park and sit down casually on a bench. When people start walking by, extend your hand subtly and twist it, similar to the way the characters from Star Wars use the force. Have your friend suddenly lay down or jump, almost as if you are controlling them. If your performance goes well, the reactions will be priceless and it will create a memory that will last a lifetime.

The last prank may end up being a pleasant surprise on a day that may have felt a little torturous. Everyone loves a good Twinkie, but the iconic brand Hostess also makes other sweets such as Ding Dongs. Put a twist on your typical ding-dong-ditching and leave the little cakes on the porch before you ditch. Not even the grouchy neighbor next door can resist the sweets, let alone stay mad at you for ding-dong-ditching them for the last 10 years.

We hope that these ideas will spark new inspiration for pranks that will keep your friends and family on their toes. Just remember one thing: although it’s fun to plot and scheme your own pranks, watch your back because April Fool’s Day is a free-for-all, and obliviousness might just turn YOU into the fool.